INSTRUCTIONS FOR PREPARING FOR YOUR SEDATION APPOINTMENT
Below are a few important instructions and reminders for your appointment:
- Do not drink any alcohol or caffeinated beverages 24 hours prior to your appointment.
- Do not smoke for at least 12 hours before your appointment.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your surgery, including water. If you take regular medications, you may take them with a small sip of water.
- Please remove contact lenses prior to your appointment.
- Please remove nail polish prior to your appointment.
- Please remove all jewelry prior to your appointment, including rings.
- Wear comfortable, lightweight clothing, short sleeves, and slip-off shoes or slippers and socks.
- Do NOT drive or take public transportation to the appointment. A designated driver will bring you to and from the appointment. Your driver will be responsible for signing you in prior to your appointment and signing
you out once you are released by the doctor following your appointment.
- A designated individual will need to be on hand to assist you in your home following your appointment.
- Do not eat grapefruit or eat grapefruit juice two (2) or three (3) days prior to your appointment because it interacts with certain enzymes in the liver that are needed to properly metabolize the sedation medications.
- It is imperative that you drink six (6) to eight (8) glasses of water the day prior to your appointment. Staying hydrated will help assist in placing the IV successfully.
It is very important that you arrive to your scheduled appointment on time, as you will be taking medications, and receiving medications which are time-sensitive. These instructions should be followed very carefully to ensure that you have a positive and successful sedation appointment.